Dr. Lorna Bowman
Dr. Lorna Bowman
Office: BR 181
Telephone: 519 432 8353 ext 28240
- B.Sc. University of Toronto,
- M.A., Columbia University, New York City
- M.Ed., University of Ottawa
- Ed.M., Ed. D., Columbia University, New York City
Research and Scholarly Interests
As an educator I am interested in the intersection of religion and education. My earlier work focused on the manner in which the charisma of the founder of a Catholic religious congregation became routinized and institutionalized in the philosophy of education. Later work has included the dimension of inculturation whereby women educated (in West Africa) who received a mission education based on a philosophy of Catholic education developed in Europe interpreted and adapted it to their religio-cultural context throughout their professional lives. Using the literary genre of educational biography I have recently completed a short biography of Gerald Emmett Cardinal Carter, religious educator and champion of publicly-funded Catholic education in Canada, for the Christian Educators of the Twentieth Century series out of Talbot University.
Academic and Administrative Experience
Following completion of my doctorate I served as Director of Student Evaluation and taught at Loyola University, New Orleans where I participated in the early development of the Loyola Institute for Ministry Extension graduate programs in pastoral ministry and religious education. From 1988-2001 I served as Director of Religious Education Programs & Associate Professor of Pastoral Theology/Religious Education, Faculty of Theology, University of St. Michael’s College, Toronto School of Theology and was a full member of the Advanced Degree Faculty, Toronto School of Theology (January 1, 1988 - June 30, 2001) and an associate member of the School of Graduate Studies for the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, University of Toronto. In 2001 I was appointed Academic Dean, Brescia University College. At Brescia I introduced and taught Education for Religious & Spiritual Development, a course which calls upon the work of the developmental theorists as well as James Fowler’s classic Stages of Faith: The Psychology of Human Development and the Quest for Meaning
- Gerald Emmett Cardinal Carter: An Educational Biography. Christian Educators of the Twentieth Century http://www.talbot.edu/ce20/
- Understanding the Study of Religion in Undergraduate Programs of Religious Studies as Religious Education. Religious Education 101: 2 (Spring 2006): 143-146. Part of Forum: Research in Religious Education.
- Guest Editorial: Embracing the Past, Envisioning the Future: Religious Education in an Age of Transition. Religious Education 99:2 (Summer 2004): 211-213.
- Transcending Boundaries: Presidential Address to the Association of Professors and Researchers in Religious Education November 2003. Religious Education 99:2 (Summer 2004): 215-224.
- Catholic Mission Education of Women in West Africa and Grassroots Inculturation. Journal of Religious Education (Australia) 50/3 ( 2002 Jubilee Volume): 55-61.
- Working with Experience: The Mentor, the Context, the Possibility. British Journal of Theological Education 12/1 (August 2001): 37-52.
- Glimpses of Christ Incarnated and Communicated in West Africa. Source, no.35 (1997):85-93.
- The Inculturation of Holy Child Education: Actions Not Words. Religious Education 91:3(Summer 1996): 334-350.
- The Spirit of Holy Child Education: Actions Not Words. Source, no. 31 (1995): 1-5.
- Actions Not Words: The Inculturation of Holy Child Education. Source, no. 31 (1995):15-24
- The History of Women, Religion and Education: A Methodological Approach. Toronto Journal of Theology 11/2 (Fall 1995):201-216.
- Women's Religious Education: Liberation or Socialization? A Case Study. Religious Education 88:1 (Winter 1993):22-39.
- Women in Religious Education: The Cause of Cornelia Connelly. The Living Light 27:3 (Spring 1991):240-247.
- Catholic Religious Education in Ontario, Canada. Religious Education 86:3 (Summer 1991):362-376.
- Senior Women Academic Administrators in Canada (SWAAC)
- Religious Education Association: An Association of Professors, Practitioners and Researchers in Religious Education (REA)
- Canadian Oral History Association/Société canadienne d’histoire orale
- Canadian Catholic Historical Association
- Catholic Theological Society of America (CTSA)
- History of Women Religious (HWR)