Dr. Alicia C. Garcia
Dr. Alicia C. Garcia
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Chair
Office: UH 110
Telephone: (519) 432-8353 ext 28254
Fax: (519) 858-5168
- B.Sc., Public Health, University of the Philippines, Manila
- MPS, Food and Nutrition Planning, University of the Philippines, Los Baños
- Ph.D., International Nutrition, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
Research and Scholarly Interests
- Use of photovoice in nutrition and dietetic research
- Eating behaviours of different cultural groups, elderly immigrants, children and university students
- Evaluation of school meals, beverage consumption and other community nutrition programs
- Peer education in nutrition for students; use of food guides in nutrition education
- Sociological aspects of eating behaviors of immigrant populations
- FN 9822 - Research-based Thesis in Foods and Nutrition
- FN 9722B – Nutritional Epidemiology
- FN 9733B - Research and Thesis PLanning
- FN1021 - Nutrition for Modern Living (Summer/Intersession)
- FN 2121 - Introduction to Human Nutrition (Summer/Intersession)
List refereed publications within the last five years.
- Garcia AC, Sykes L, Martin N, Matthews J, Leipert B. Facilitators of and barriers to healthful eating among university students. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research, 71(2):e28-e33, May 2010
- Garcia AC, Piché L. Research Methods. On-line Practice Evidenced-Based Nutrition (PEN) Knowledge Pathway, Dietitians of Canada, posted online on the DC Website (www.dietitians.ca), September 2009
- Piché LA, Garcia, AC, Piché LA Jr. Online - Update Health Canada Links, Student Resources for Nutrition: Concepts and Controversies First Canadian Edition, Nelson Education, August 2008.
Papers in Refereed Journals:
- Martin N, Garcia AC, Leipert B. PhotoVoice and Its Potential Use in Nutrition and Dietetics. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research, 71(2):93-97, May 2010.
- Johnson Chwen, Hobson Sandra, Garcia Alicia C. and Matthews June. Nutrition and Food Skills Education For Adults with Developmental Disabilities. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research, 2011;72:7-13 DOI:10.3148/72.1.2011.7.
- Carly Neill MSc, Beverly D. Leipert RN, PhD, Alicia C. Garcia PhD, RD, CFE & Marita Kloseck PhD (2011): Using Photovoice Methodology to Investigate Facilitators and Barriers to Food Acquisition and Preparation by Rural Older Women, Journal of Nutrition in Gerontology and Geriatrics, 30:3, 225-247.
- Wilson ED, Garcia AC. Survey of beliefs, attitudes and behaviours regarding environmentally-friendly initiatives in hospital foodservice. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research, 2011; 72:117-122.
- Wilson Elisa D. and Garcia Alicia C. 'Going Green' in Food Services: Can Health Care Adopt Environmentally Friendly Practices? Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research, 2011;72:43-47 DOI:10.3148/72.1.2011.43.
- Garcia AC, Da WW.(2011). Nutrition and physical activity of older Chinese adults: exploring adaptations and sociological influences. Asian Journal of Gerontology & Geriatrics (Hong Kong), 6(2): 72-81.
- Garcia, Alicia C. and Da, Wei Wei. Immigration and its Effects on the Diet and Physical Activity of Selected Asian Older Adults in Canada. In Ellen R. Judd and Zhang Jijiao, eds. In press, 2011. "Mobility and Migration in China and the Asia Pacific Region"(Chile, pp. 87-105). Beijing, China: Zhishi Chan Quan Chu Ban She/Intellectual Property Publishing House.
- Sizer F, Whitney E, Piche L, with contributions from A.C. Garcia. Nutrition Concepts and Controversies, First Canadian Edition, 2009. Nelson Education: Toronto, ON.
- Piche LA, Garcia AC. Canadian Supplemental Information (CSI) Document to accompany Nutrition Concepts and Controversies, 10th ed. 2007. Nelson Thomson. Thomson Canada Ltd., Scarborough, ON.
- Da WW, Garcia AC. An exploration of socio-cultural adaptation and changes in qaulity of life at settlement among older chinese immigrants in Canada. CERIS working paper No. 80, CERIS The Ontario Metropolis Centre, October 2010.
- Nutrition Knowledge and Practises and Iron Status of Adolescents in Antigua and Barbuda: A Survey Report. Antigua and Barbuda Ministry of Health in Collaboration with the Caribbean Food and Nutrition Institute and Brescia University College (represented by Garcia AC). November 2007.
Course Handbooks/ Educational Materials
- Garcia AC, Piche LA. Introduction to Research Methods. The Book Store at Western, The University of Western Ontario, September 2008, 2007.
- Garcia AC. Morris A, James J. Nutrition for Good Health (Booklet and CD): An Education Initiative for Adolescents in Antigua and Barbuda, West Indies. NOvember 2007.