Dr. Latifeh Ahmadi
Dr. Latifeh Ahmadi
Division of Foods and Nutritional Sciences
Office: MRW, Room 161
Telephone: 519 432 8353 ext 28068
Fax: 519 858 5137
- PhD, Food Science, University of Guelph
- MSc, Food Science and Technology, National Nutrition and Food Science Reseach Institute of Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Science, Tehran, Iran
- BSc, Nutritional Sciences, National Nutrition and Food Science Reseach Institute of Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Science, Tehran, Iran
Research and Scholarly Interests
- The relationship between modified fats and oils, and their physiological effects on human body health
- replacing natural ingredients as preservatives or flavor agents in food products and reducing the use of synthetic additives
- Advanced Food Science- FN 3342
- Culture and Food - FN 3400
- Current Issues in Food Science and Technology- FN 4440
- Institue of Food Science and Technology
- American Oil Chemists' Society
- Tosh, S. M., Ahmadi, L., Yip, L., Roudsari, M., and Wood P. J. Presence of ß-glucanas activity in wheat and dairy ingredients and use of organic salts as potential enzyme inhibitors. J Cereal Sci., 2011 (in press).
- Ahmadi, L., Wright, A. and Marangoni, A. G. Structural and mechanical behavior of tristearin/triolein-rich mixtures and the modification achieved by interesterification. Food Biophys. DOI 10.1007/s11483-009-9102-2 (2009).
- Robinson, D. M., Martin, N. C., Robinson, L. E., Ahmadi, L., Marangoni, A.G., Wright, A.J. Influence of interesterification of a stearic acid-rich spreadable fat on acute risk factors for cardiovascular disease and type-2 diabetes. Lipids. 44, 1,17-26, (2009).
- Ahmadi, L., Wright, A. and Marangoni, A. G. Chemical and enzymatic interesterification of tristearin-triolein-rich blends I: Chemical composition, SFC and thermal properties. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol. 110, 1025-1034(2008).
- Ahmadi, L., Wright, A. and Marangoni, A. G. Chemical and enzymatic interesterification of tristearin-triolein-rich blends II: microstructure and polymorphism. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol.11, 1014-1024 (2008).
- Ahmadi, L. and Marangoni, A. G. Functionality and physical properties of interesterified high oleic shortening structured with stearic acid. Food Chem., 117, 668-673 (2009).
- Rogers, M. A., Ahmadi, L., Tang, D. and Marangoni, A. G.Fat crystal networks.In: Food Material Science,Eds. J. M. Aguilera, P. J. Lillford, Springer Verlag (Germany), 2007. pp. 369-414.
- Shahmir, F., Ahmadi, L., Mirza, M. and Korori, S.A.A. Secretory elements of needles and berries of Juniperus communis L. ssp. Communis and its volatile constituents. Journal of Flavour and Fragrance. 18,425-428(2003).
- Ahmadi, L., Mirza, M., and Shahmir, F. The Volatil Constituents of Artemisia marschaliana Sprengel and its secretory elements.Flavour Fragr. J. 17, 141-143 (2002).
- Ahmadi, L., Mirza, M. and Shahmir, F. Essential oil of Teucrium melissoides Boiss. &Hausskn. Ex Boiss. J. Essent. Oil Res. (2002).
- Ahmadi, L. and Narine, S. A comprehensive toolbox to evaluate the functional properties of waxes. AOCS Annual Meeting., Cincinnati, USA, May 1-4th (2011).
- Ahmadi, L. and Marangoni, A.G. Effects of fat crystal network structure on the physical properties of interesterified and non-interesterified fully hydrogenated canola oil and high oleic sunflower oil mixtures. 100th AOCS Annual Meeting and Expo., Orlando, USA, May 3-7th (2009).
- Ahmadi, L., Kramer, J. and Marangoni, A.G. Functionality and physical properties of interesterified high oleic shortening structured with stearic acid. 99th AOCS Annual Meeting and Expo. Seattle, USA, May 18-21st (2008).
- Ahmadi, L. Wright, A.J. and Marangoni, A.G. Modification of rich searin-olein blends by enzymatic and chemical interesterification. 98th AOCS Annual Meeting and Expo. Quebec City, QC, Canada, May 13-16th (2007).
- Ahmadi, L. Wright, A.J. and Marangoni, A.G. Modification of triolein-tristearin-rich blends by chemical interesterification; Changes in composition and physical properties. 97th AOCS Annual Meeting and Expo. St. louis, USA ,April 30-May 3rd (2006).
- Ahmadi, L. Wright, A.J. and Marangoni, A.G. Structure and physical properties of tristearin-triolein-rich mixtures. 96th AOCS Annual Meeting and Expo. ,Salt lake city, USA, May 1-4th (2005).
- Mirza, M and Ahmadi, L. Composition of the essential oil from seed of Ferula gumosa Boiss.1st International congress on traditional medicine and materia medica, Tehran,6-9 Nov.(2000).
- Ahmadi, L., Mirza, M. Jalilian, N. and Nemati, M. Essential oil of Oliveria decumbens grown in Iran. 31st International Symposium on essential oils. University of Hamburg , Sept. 10-13 (2000).
I believe in establishing a passion for lifetime learning for my students. I want to teach them that school is not the end of the learning and that we need to learn for whole of life. I also support their efforts and try to improve the skills and strengths by highlighting their successes. In addition, as a teacher my role is to not only teach students how to learn, but also encourage them to think independently and critically.