Ms. Lesley Macaskill
Ms. Lesley Macaskill
Division of Food and Nutritional Sciences
Office: Room 109 Ursuline Hall
- MHSc, Community Nutrition, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, 1995
- HBSc, Home Economics (Foods and Nutrition), Brescia University College, 1993
Research and Scholarly Interests
- Student nutrition programs
- Child obesity prevention
- Influence of school policies on foods consumed in elementary schools
- FN 1021 Nutrition for Modern Living (Course Coordinator)
- HE 2222F Professional Perspectives (team-teaching fall 2012)
- FN 3361B Fundamentals of Community Nutrition (team-teaching winter 2013)
- FN 235a Fundamentals of Human Nutrition (2008)
- Dean’s Honor Roll of Teaching, Brescia University College (2009, 2011)
Publications and Presentations
- Richter, SL, Vandervet, LM, Macaskill, LA, Salvadori, MI, Seabrook, JA & Dworatzek, PDN (2012 in press). Accuracy and reliability of direct observations of home-packed lunches in elementary schools by trained nutrition students. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Russell JA, Evers S, Dwyer JM, Uetrecht C, & Macaskill L(2007).Best practices among child nutrition programs in Ontario: Evaluation findings. Journal of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition, 2(2-3), 111-127.
- Russell JA, Dwyer JM, Macaskill L, Evers S, Uetrecht C., & Dombrow C (2007).Perceptions of child nutrition programs: The voices of children, parents, volunteers, program coordinators and educators. Journal of Hunger & Environmental Nutrition, 2(4), 47-65.
- Dwyer JJM, Macaskill L., Uetrecht C., Dombrow C (2004). Perceived Barriers and Perceived Facilitators to Participating in Eat Smart! Ontario’s Healthy Restaurant Program: Focus Groups with Non-participating Restaurant Operators. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research. 65(1).
- Macaskill L, Dwyer JJM, Uetrecht C, Dombrow C (2003). A survey of restaurant operators participating in Eat Smart! Ontario’s Healthy Restaurant Program. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research. 64(4).
- Macaskill L, Dwyer JJM, Uetrecht C, Dombrow C, Crompton C, Wilck B & Stone J (2000). An evaluability assessment to develop a restaurant health promotion program. Health Promotion International 15(1).
- “The Balanced School Day – is it balanced?” Winner, Clinical Sciences 25th Annual Pediatrics Research Day (2012), Western University. Wu, TF; Supervisors: P. Dworatzek, M. Salvadori, L. Macaskill
- Vandervet, L.M., Richter, S.L., Macaskill, L.A., and Dworatzek, Paula D.N. Development and reliability of an observational training protocol for dietary intake assessment in an elementary school setting. Poster Presentation at Canadian Nutrition Society Annual Meeting; Guelph, June 2011
- Haines, P. & Macaskill, L. Monitoring Foods Served in Toronto Student Nutrition Programs. Poster presentation at Ontario Public Health Association Conference. Toronto, November 2007.
- Macaskill, L. Breakfast for Learning: A Made-in-Canada Solution to Child Nutrition in Schools. Poster presentation at The 19th IUHPE International Conference on Health Promotion and Health Education. Vancouver, June 2007.
- College of Dietitians of Ontario
- Dietitians of Canada
- Canadian Nutrition Society
- Ontario Society of Nutrition Professionals in Public Health