Dr. Paula Dworatzek
Dr. Paula Dworatzek, PhD, RD
Associate Professor, Division of Food and Nutritional Sciences
Visiting Associate Professor, Schulich Interfaculty Program in Public Health,
Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry
Adjunct Research Professor School of Graduate and Post-doctoral Studies
Office: Room P4
Telephone: (519) 432-8353 ext 28020
- Ph D, Department of Nutritional Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, 2004
- MSc, Department of Nutritional Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, 1997
- Dietetic Internship, University Health Network (formerly The Toronto Hospital- General Division), 1990
- BSc, Home Economics (Foods and Nutrition), Brescia University College, 1989
- HE 2266F/G Communications
- FN 3361B Fundamentals of Community Nutrition
- HE 4411F Research Methodology
- FN 9722B Program Planning and Evaluation
Research and Scholarly Interests
- School food environment and its impact on students eating behaviours
- Chronic disease prevention, particularly obesity and diabetes
- Nutrition education program planning and evaluation
- Funding in support of LUNCHES – Let's Understand Nutrition and Children's Health in Elementary Schools, Awarded by the Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR)
- Funding in support of Temperature of perishable food items in packed lunches, Awarded by Brescia University College Internal Research Grants
- Funding in support of Survey of Food and Nutrition Skills and Behaviours of University Students, Awarded by Brescia University College Internal Research Grants
- Dean's Honor Roll of Teaching, Awarded by the Academic Dean, Brescia University College, 2010
- Funding in support of A community-based lifestyle education program for adults with prediabetes, Awarded by the Lawson Foundation
- Funding in support of Food Intake in the Balanced School Day vs Traditional Schedule: Inter-observer Reliability, Awarded by Brescia University College Internal Research Grants
- Funding in support of Literature Review and Key Informant Interviews re: a valid and reliable population-based tool to measure fruit and vegetable consumption of 4-9 year olds, Awarded by Middlesex London Health Unit
- Brian Dufton Memorial Manuscript Award, Awarded by the Canadian Journal of Diabetes, 2003
- Dworatzek P, Arcudi K, Gougeon R, Husein N, Sievenpiper J, Williams S. Nutrition Therapy. Canadian Diabetes Association Clinical Practice Guidelines. Canadian Journal of Diabetes. In Press.
- Richter S, Vandervet L, Macaskill L, Salvadori M, Seabrook J, Dworatzek, P. Accuracy and Reliability of Direct Observations of Home-Packed Lunches in Elementary Schools by Trained Nutrition Students. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2012;112:1603-1607.
- Matthews J, Dworatzek P. 'Millennial' Graduate Students' Use of Technology and Problem-Based Learning to Enhance Higher-Level Cognition in Health Promotion Program Planning. American Journal of Health Sciences. 2012;3(3)195-199.
- Recommendations for Nutrition Best Practice in the Management of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research, 67 (4):206-208, 2006. Full report available at: http://dietitians.ca/news/highlights_positions.asp [Accessed August 8, 2008].
- Dworatzek PDN, Hegele RA, Wolever TMS. Postprandial lipemia in subjects with the T54 variant of fatty acid-binding protein 2 (FABP2) gene is dependent on the type of fat ingested. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 79(6):1110-1117, 2004.
- Dworatzek PDN, Hegele RA, Wolever TMS. Associations between metabolic phenotypes vary with the codon 54 polymorphism of fatty acid-binding protein 2 gene. Canadian Journal of Diabetes. 26(4):349-355, 2002.
- Nesbitt PD, Lam Y, & Thompson LU. Human metabolism of mammalian lignan precursors in raw and processed flaxseed. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 69:549-555, 1999.
- Nesbitt PD, & Thompson LU. Lignans in homemade and commercial products containing flaxseed. Nutrition and Cancer, 29:222-227, 1997.
- Dworatzek P, Lenhardt L, He M, Battram D, & Murkin E. Measuring Fruit And Vegetable Consumption In 4-9 Year Olds: A Search For A Valid And Reliable Population-Based Tool. PHRED program, Middlesex London Health Unit. Submitted to the Ontario Ministry of Health Promotion, March 2008. Executive summary available at: http://www.phred-redsp.on.ca/Docs/Reports/Executive%20Summary%20Final.pdf.
- Yantzi L & Dworatzek P. Journeying Toward Cultural Competence. Practice: Exploring Members' Practice Issues, Dietitians of Canada, Issue 43, Fall 2008. Available at: http://www.dietitians.ca/Downloadable-Content/Members-Only/Issue_43_Practice_Fall2008.aspx.
- Wolfs W, Brown S, Dworatzek P, Morrison C, West R, & Freiheit D. Position Statement on the Indirect Costs of Research. Health Charities Coalition of Canada. May 2007. Available at: http://www.healthcharities.ca/position-statements.html.
- Freiheit D, Brown S, Dworatzek P, Morrison C, West R, & Wolfs W. Position Statement on Registration of Clinical Trials. Health Charities Coalition of Canada. May 2006. Available at: http://www.healthcharities.ca/position-statements.html.
- Diabetes Task Force: Report to the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. 2004. Available at: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/pub/
Posters, Abstracts, and Oral Presentations (since 2008)
- Broxterman J, Giroux I, Battram D, Dworatzek P, Mandich G, Colby P, Mathyssen J, Hramiak I. Impact of a pilot group lifestyle behaviour change program (PREPARE) on nutritional and health characteristics in adults with prediabetes. Canadian Diabetes Association Professional Conference. Vancouver, BC, Oct. 2012. (Oral Presentation)
- McLaren J, MacLellan J, McManus R, Dworatzek P, Giroux I. Perception of pregnancy nutrition recommendations in women with gestational diabetes. Canadian Diabetes Association Professional Conference. Vancouver, BC, Oct. 2012. (Poster Presentation)
- Giroux I, Broxterman J, Dworatzek P, Battram D, Mandich G, Colby P, Mathyssen J, Hramiak I. The PREPARE program: Initial perceptions of program acceptability. International Congress of Dietetics, Sydney, Australia, Sept. 2012. (Poster Presentation)
- Quenneville E, Dworatzek PDN, Matthews J. Formative evaluation of a university peer nutrition education program: a population health approach. Dietitians of Canada National Conference, Toronto, June 2012. (Oral presentation)
- McLaren J, MacLellan J, McManus R, Dworatzek PDN, Giroux I. Perception of personal and offspring risk of Type 2 diabetes among women with GDM. Dietitians of Canada National Conference, Toronto, June 2012. (Poster presentation)
- Richter S, Vandervet L, Macaskill L, Salvadori M, Seabrook J, Dworatzek P. Direct observation of food intake in an elementary school setting is accurate and reliable when conducted by trained undergraduate nutrition students. Dietitians of Canada National Conference, Toronto, June 2012. (Abstract)
- Francis L, Battram DS, Giroux I, Dworatzek PDN. PREPARE: A pre-diabetes lifestyle intervention based on Social Cognitive Theory. Preliminary baseline assessments of nutrition-related knowledge, outcome expectations, and self-efficacy. Dietitians of Canada National Conference, Toronto, June 2012. (Abstract)
- Cianfrini L, Habros M, Dworatzek PDN, Giroux I, Battram DS. Baseline physical activity characteristics from the PREPARE intervention: Preliminary findings. Dietitians of Canada National Conference, Toronto, June 2012. (Abstract)
- Shier A, Giroux I, Broxterman J, Colby P, Battram DS, Dworatzek PDN, Mandich G, Hramiak I. Cooking workshop experience of middle and older adults participating in the PREPARE prediabetes lifestyle intervention program. Dietitians of Canada National Conference, Toronto, June 2012. (Abstract)
- Horne RA, McLeod JR, Dworatzek PDN, Battram DS. The effects of a 6 month nutrition education program on diet quality in persons at risk for or with the metabolic syndrome. Annual Conference of the International Society for Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity (ISBNPA), Texas, May, 2012. (Poster presentation)
- Vandervet LM, Richter SL, Macaskill LA, Dworatzek PDN. Development and reliability of an observational training protocol for dietary intake assessment in an elementary school setting. Canadian Nutrition Society Conference, Guelph, ON, June 2011 (Poster), and 2011 CNS General Meeting. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism. 36(S1), 2011. (Abstract)
- MacLellan J, Shier A, Dworatzek PDN, McManus R, Giroux I. Understanding intention to engage in diabetes prevention behaviours post-gestational diabetes. Dietitians of Canada Conference, Edmonton, AB, June 2011. (Poster)
- Giroux I, Dworatzek P, Battram DS, Colby P, Mathyssen J, Broxterman J, Mandich G, Hramiak I. Genesis of the "Prediabetes Initiative and Partnership". Dietitians of Canada Conference, Edmonton, AB, June 2011. (Poster)
- Wammes J, & Dworatzek PDN. Canadian dietitians' attitudes and beliefs regarding peer education as a model for nutrition education. Dietitians of Canada Conference, Montreal, PQ, May 2010. (Poster)
- Lenhardt L, He M, Battram D, & Dworatzek PDN. A search for a valid and reliable population-based tool for measuring fruit and vegetable consumption in children aged 4-9 years. Dietitians of Canada Conference, Winnipeg, MB, June 2008. (Poster)
- Canadian Nutrition Society
- College of Dietitians of Ontario
- Dietitians of Canada
- Canadian Public Health Association
- Canadian Diabetes Association, Clinical and Scientific Section
- Canadian Obesity Network
- Ontario Society for Nutrition Professionals in Public Health
- Chair, Research Ethics Board, Brescia University College, 2010-2013
- Member, Research Ethics Board, Brescia University College, 2007-2010
Past Work Experience
|Canadian Diabetes Association, Director of Research Programs||2003 – 2007|
|The Anne Johnston Health Station, Community Health Centre Dietitian||1992 – 2001 (part-time)|
|York Community Services, Community Health Centre Dietitian||March 1994 – Aug. 1994(contract)|
|Four Villages Community Health Centre, Dietitian||Sept. 1993 – April 1994(contract)|
|Victorian Order of Nurses, Toronto, Home-Visiting Clinical Dietitian||1990 – 1993|