Professor Melissa Jean
Division of Social Sciences, Management and Organizational Studies
Office: BR 120
Telephone: (519) 432-8353 ext 28070
- Certified Management Accountant, Society of Management Accountants of Ontario
- Master of Business Administration, Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario
- Bachelor of Arts, Honors Business Administration, Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario
Research and Scholarly Interests
My main area of academic interest involves understanding the unique motivations of the growing group of women entrepreneurs known as mompreneurs as well as gaining insight into the impact these business ventures have on family life. I am a regular blog contributor at The Mompreneur®.com (http://www.themompreneur.com/blog/) where I translate findings from the academic literature to practicing women entrepreneurs. I am also interested in small business management and service learning which I research and publish in the context of case studies.
- Professor Jean's research with 'mompreneurs' is featured in Living Research – 2010, Volume 1.
- Exploring the Motivations of Mompreneurs – Western News (October 2011)
- Foods & Nutrition 4422A/B: Financial Management & Control for Food & Nutrition Students
- MOS 2205F/G: Business Communications
- MOS 3372: Management Accounting
- MOS 4400A/B: Field Study - Community Consulting
- Business 2257: Accounting and Business Analysis
Representative Publications & Presentations
- Jean, M. (2013). Sweet Leaf Bath Co. Case presented at the 58th Annual Conference of the International Council for Small Business. Ponce, Puerto Rico.
- Jean, M. and C. Forbes. (2012). An Exploration of the Motivations and Expectation Gaps of Mompreneurs. Journal of Business Diversity, 12(2), 112-130.
- Jean, M. and C. Forbes. (2012). Mompreneurs: An Exploration of Their Entrepreneurial Reality. Paper presented at the 26th Annual Conference of the United States Association of Small Business and Entrepreneurship: Developmental Paper Track. New Orleans, LA, USA.
- Jean, M and Sturby, C. (2011), Fortune Minerals – The NICO Project. Case presented at the Annual Conference of the Administrative Sciences Association of Canada: Case Track Division. Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- Jean, M and Sturby, C. (2011), Fortune Minerals – The NICO Project, Ivey Publishing, London, ON.
- Sturby, C. and M. Jean. (2011). Fortune Minerals – Adoption of IFRS, Ivey Publishing, London, ON.
- Jean, M (2011), Mompreneurship, Company, Fall 2011.
- Jean, M. (2008). Pack-iTS, Ivey Publishing, London, ON.
- Jean, M. (2006). RONA Inc., Ivey Publishing, London, ON.
- Administrative Sciences Association of Canada
- International Council for Small Business
- United States Assosiation of Small Business and Entrepreneurship
- Society of Management Accountants of Ontario
- Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
Brescia & Community Activities
- Faculty Advisor for "The Pink Ties" Student Club
- Fundamentals of Academic Success Planning Committee Member
- The Society of Management Accountants of Ontario Student Liaison for Brescia University College
- "Package of Profs", High School Outreach Program Presenter
- Budgetary Advisory Committee Member
- My Action Plan (MAP) to Education Program Mentor, Boys and Girls Club
- Straight Talk Prof Blog