Dr. Sara Morrison
Dr. Sara Morrison
Division of Social Science, History
Office: PB 5
Telephone: (519) 432-8353 ext. 28271
- BA (Hons), Geography, St Hilda’s College, Oxford
- BEd University of Western Ontario
- MA, History, University of Western Ontario
- PhD History, University of Western Ontario
- Postdoctoral Fellowships at University of Western Ontario and McMaster University
Research and Scholarly Interests
- Early modern British history, the Stuart royal forests, Sherwood Forest, Robin Hood
- Environmental history and early modern resource management
- Most recent work includes revisions to The Stuart Royal Forests: An Environmental History for the Royal Historical Society’s Studies in History Series plus revisions to "A Conservation Revival and Wartime Reconstruction in southern Ontario" for Canadian Historical Review
|History 1401E||Modern Europe, 1715 to the Present|
|History 2403E||Early Modern Europe and England|
|History 3411E||Britain since 1688|
|History 3496F/G||The Virgin Queen|
|History 3496F/G||The Victorians|
- “Forests of Masts and Seas of Trees: The Restoration Navy and the English Royal Forests,” in Nancy L. Rhoden (ed.) English Atlantics Revisited. Essays Honouring Professor Ian K. Steele, 136-173. Montreal and Kingston (McGill-Queens University Press, 2007)
- "The creation of Clumber Park, 1709-14: The Last Royal Park of Sherwood Forest," Transactions of the Thoroton Society, 106, 2002, 103-118.
- “Policy and Resource Management in Sherwood Forest, 1600-1750," Current Studies in Nottinghamshire History: History in the Making, Pamphlet no. 2, 1986.
- "Bestwood: A Sherwood Forest Park in the Seventeenth Century", Transactions of the Thoroton Society, 89, 1985, 57-74.
- “Property Rights and the English Royal Forests, 1649-1660.” First World Congress on Environmental History. Copenhagen, Denmark, 2009.
- “New attitudes to the Royal Forests: Common Property Rights, Land Use and the Natural World under the English Commonwealth.” Sixteenth Century Studies Conference celebrating the anniversary of John Calvin, 1509-2009, Geneva, Switzerland, 2009
- “Early Modern Deer Farming, Climate Change and the English Royal Forests.” Sixteenth Century Studies Conference, St Louis MO, 2008
- “The Royal Forests of Stuart England.” Huron History Society, Huron University College, 2008.
- “The Anatomy of Sherwood Forest, 1608-1658.” Sixteenth Century Studies Conference, Minneapolis, MN, 2007.
- “The Stuart Royal Forests.” History Department Colloquium, McMaster University, Hamilton, 2007.
- “English Royal Forests, c.1600: myth and reality.” Sixteenth Century Studies Conference, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2006.
- “Winners and Losers: Contenders and the English Royal Forests during the Interregnum” Part of a panel entitled “Economic Interests in Early Modern England.” Middle Atlantic Conference on British Studies, Rutgers University, NJ, 2006.
- “Fell, Sell, or Save? The English Royal Forests without the King, 1649-1660” Part of a panel entitled “Accounting for Social Capital in Early Modern Europe.” Sixteenth Century Studies Conference, Atlanta, 2005.
- “The Contested Forests: English Royal Forests and the Interregnum” Faculty Seminar Series, History Department, University of Western Ontario, 2005.
- "A Conservation Revival and Wartime Reconstruction in southern Ontario." Paper presented at the Congress of Humanities and Social Sciences, Annual Meeting of the Canadian Historical Association, University of Western Ontario, 2005.
- "Oliver Cromwell, a mid-seventeenth century Robin Hood? Cromwell, the royal forests and Sherwood." Third International Robin Hood Conference, University of Western Ontario, 2001.