Dr. Edward Bell
Dr. Edward Bell
Division of Sociology and Family Studies
Office: BR 213
Telephone: 519 4328353 ext 28236
- B.A., University of Victoria
- M.A., University of Alberta
- Ph.D., McGill University
Research and Scholarly Interests
- Political Sociology
- Behaviour Genetic Study of Politics
- Social Movements
- Social Change
- Statistics for Sociology (Sociology 2205A/B)
- Research Methods in Sociology (Sociology 2206A/B)
- Investigating the Social World: Quantitative Research (Sociology 3306A/B)
My teaching philosopy: "Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire" (William Butler Yeats, with apologies to Plutarch).
- Kandler, Christian, Edward Bell, Chizuru Shikishima, Shinji Yamagata, & Rainer Riemann. “The Genetic Foundations of Attitude Formation: The Case of Left-Right Political Orientations.” Forthcoming in R. A. Scott & S. M. Kosslyn (eds.), Emerging Trends in the Social and Behavioral Sciences. Oxford, UK: Wiley.
- Woodley, Michael A., Heiner Rindermann, Edward Bell, James Stratford, and Davide Piffer. "The relationship between Microcephalin, ASPM, and intelligence: A reconsideration." Forthcoming in Intelligence.
- Woodley, Michael A. and Edward Bell (2013). “Consanguinity as a Major Predictor of Levels of Democracy: A Study of 70 Nations.” Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology 44(2): 263-280.
- Bryman, Allan, Edward Bell and James J. Teevan (2012). Social Research Methods (Third Canadian Edition). Don Mills: Oxford University Press.
- Bell, Edward, Michael A. Woodley, Julie Aitken Schermer and Philip A. Vernon (2012). “Politics and the General Factor of Personality.” Personality and Individual Differences 53: 456-551.
- Woodley, Michael A. and Edward Bell (2011). "Is collective intelligence (mostly) the General Factor of Personality? A comment on Woolley, Chabris, Pentland, Hashmi and Malone." Intelligence 39: 79-81.
- Bell, Edward, Julie Aitken Schermer and Philip A. Vernon (2009). “The Origins of Political Attitudes and Behaviours: An Analysis Using Twins.” Canadian Journal of Political Science 42 (4): 855-879.
- Bell, Edward (2008). “Catholicism and Democracy: A Reconsideration.” Journal of Religion & Society 10: 1-22.
- Bell, Edward, Harold Jansen and Lisa Young (2007). “Sustaining a Dynasty in Alberta: The 2004 Provincial Election.” Canadian Political Science Review 1 (2): 27-49.
- Bell, Edward (2007). “Separatism and Quasi-Separatism in Alberta.” Prairie Forum 32(2): 335-55.
- Bell, Edward (2004). “Ernest Manning.” In Bradford J. Rennie, ed., Alberta Premiers of the Twentieth Century, 147-82. Regina: University of Regina, Canadian Plains Research Center.
- Bell, Edward (2002). "Prairie Politics: Why 'Right' in Alberta but 'Left' in Saskatchewan?" In Douglas Baer, ed., Political Sociology: An Introduction, 202-17. Toronto: Oxford University Press Canada.
- Bell, Edward (2001). “Social Change.” In James J. Teevan and W.E. Hewitt, eds., Introduction to Sociology: A Canadian Focus (Seventh Edition), 430-55. Toronto: Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Bell, Edward (1993). Social Classes and Social Credit in Alberta. Montreal & Kingston: McGill-Queen's University Press.