Management and Organizational Studies (MOS)
Industry Internship Program
What is the MOS Industry Internship Program (IIP)?
The Management and Organizational Studies (MOS) program offers an Industry Internship Program (IIP) for students interested in gaining practical experience. In this program, students spend 8 to 16 months working in the industry between their third and fourth years of the MOS program.
How do students find an IIP Internship?
Companies recruit students and post jobs through The Student Success Centre (success.uwo.ca) during the November to July period. These jobs are reserved only for students enrolled in the IIP. Each company selects and interviews its candidates on campus and then makes job offers to the students through The Student Success Centre during the mid-February period and continues into the summer months. In addition to industry job postings, students may find their own employment. These positions must involve degree-related work experience.
Why is the internship 8 to 16 months instead of 4 months?
Many employers find that this program is better than a traditional co-op program, as it gives the employer a longer time to assess the student and the student is able to work on advanced projects and see them through, from beginning to end. The student feels that they are better motivated and have a well-crystallized plan for their careers after gaining valuable work experience and contacts in the industry.
Who can enroll in the Industry Internship Program?
Any MOS student who is completing third year, has at least a 70% average in second year, and is permitted to work in Canada, may enroll in the program.
What else do I need to know?
- You must apply to the program using careercentral to be considered. The application process opens September 2013 and closes December 2013.
- You must have your resume reviewed and approved by The Student Life Centre (MSJ 119) by the December deadline.
- This credit cannot be included in the number of courses counted toward any degree or program.
- This is a paid internship experience, and will require the student to pay a course fee (8 months= $750, 12 months= $950, 16 months= $1200).
- Applying to the program does not obligate you in any way; it is an expression of interest and determination of eligibility to participate. Once you are accepted in the program, there is still no fee. Fees are only charged once a student has successfully accepted an internship.
- Students are permitted to find their own jobs. These jobs must be approved by the course supervisor in order to ensure that the position qualifies as suitable internship employment.
- Work during the internship period is full-time and is considered productive work.
- Students must obtain special permission from the Course Supervisor to enroll in courses while participating in the MOS Internship Program. All interns will be limited to enrolling in 1 course per academic term (for example – in a 12 month IIP, a student may enroll in a maximum of 1.5 credits – 3 terms x 0.5 credits).
- Students must have 3.5 credits remaining to complete at the end of the Internship Program in order to maintain Internship status.
- As part of the IIP, students are required to:
- successfully complete the work term
- submit an employer evaluation
- submit a written report
- complete an oral presentation with their Course Supervisor
- complete all other assignments as outlined by their Course Supervisor