Leadership Development Program
The Leadership Development Program is a co-curricular, non-academic credit program designed to enrich Brescia students’ experiences by fostering the attributes and skills to increase their effectiveness as leaders.
This experiential certificate program has been designed to encourage all students to participate, regardless of whether or not they are in a leadership role.
- Workshops are free to any current Brescia student (undergraduate or graduate)
- The program consists of three progressive tiers, consisting of several components within each tier:
- Tier I (A Journey in Self Discovery) consisting of 5 sessions, peer coaching and 'hands on' learning opportunities.
- Tier II (A Journey in Leading with Others) consisting of 4 sessions, peer coaching and 'hands on' learning opportunities.
- Tier III (Leading Through Change) consisting of 3 sessions, peer coaching and a community leadership capstone project.
- Students complete the tiers in order, in a cohort group. Tier I and II are offered sequentially during the first term and Tier III is offered second term, so it will take most students two consecutive terms to complete this program.
- Upon successful completion of all three tiers, students will receive a Certificate of Achievement signed by Brescia's Principal.
- Students must register to complete the program in one year and therefore only register once in the fall for the program. NOTE: enrollment may be limited.
- Students must successfully attend and complete all components of each tier in order to successfully progress to the following tier.
- The workshops are facilitated by professional staff and student peer facilitators from the Brescia Student Life Centre.
- This program does not qualify for university credit; nor is credit given for activities in which academic credit has been received.
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
Tier III Community Leadership Capstone Project Details:
Students will be required to complete a 12-hour experiential service-learning project to apply the knowledge and skills obtained in the workshops to practical learning experiences. Students can choose one of two options for their ‘Becoming an Agent of Change’ project:
- Students will work in small groups to design and implement their own social change project within the Brescia/local London community.
- Students will use an existing campus/local community involvement (e.g. student club) as a learning lab
2013-2014 Workshop Schedule:
Tier I: 'A Journey in Self-Discovery'
Session 1: Wednesday October 9th, 2013, 4:30pm-6:30pm
Session 2: Wednesday, October 16th, 2013, 4:30pm-6:30pm
Session 3: Wednesday October 23rd, 2013, 4:30pm-6:30pm
Session 4: Wednesday Oct. 30th, 2013, 4:30pm-6:30pm
Session 5: Wednesday November 6th, 2013, 4:30pm-6:30pm
Tier II: 'A Journey in Leading with Others'
Session 1: Wednesday November 13th, 2013, 4:30pm-6:30pm
Session 2: Wednesday November 20th, 2013, 4:30pm-6:30pm
Session 3: Wednesday November 27th, 2013, 4:30pm-6:30pm
Session 4: Wednesday December 4th, 2013, 4:30pm-6:30pm
Tier III: 'Leading Through Change'
Session 1: Wednesday January 15th, 2014, 4:30pm-6:30pm
Session 2: Wednesday January 22nd, 2014, 4:30pm-6:30pm
Session 3: Wednesday March 19th, 2014, 4:30pm-6:30pm
*The Community Leadership Capstone Project takes place between January 22nd, 2014-March 19th, 2014
PROGRAM REGISTRATION is now CLOSED for 2013-2014!
NEW for 2013-2014: Leadership Development Program Student Facilitator Role
The Leadership Development Program (LDP) Student Facilitators are important members of the Student Life Centre (SLC). This new student leadership role emphasizes a student-driven, peer facilitation approach to the program.
LDP Facilitators are creative and enthusiastic students who will assist in facilitating workshops and acting as peer coaches within the Student Life Centre’s co-curricular Leadership Development Program. To learn more about this unique leadership experience, please visit the Student Life Centre.
This position is now CLOSED for 2013-2014. Please check back in March 2014 to apply for 2014-2015!