Student sitting outside under a tree studying on campus.


As a current student, below are current most frequently asked questions during the academic year. For more information and support, contact The Hive


I understand that face masks are required indoors but I have a condition that prevents me from wearing a face mask. What should I do?

Please visit Western's Accessibility Services here for further guidance and assistance.

With the date adjustments for the winter 2022, how does this affect other dates?

Academic Term Dates:
February 19-27 – Reading Week (dates remain unchanged)
April 8 – Last day of classes
April 9 – Study Day
April 10-30 – Final exam period

Can I book a study space on campus?

In addition to study spaces at the Beryl Ivey Library at Brescia, the following Study Spaces  are bookable through Western's main campus.

What if I need to submit a form to the Hive?

Good news! All of our forms are now available online for you to fill out electronically and submit to us at  Please complete and submit forms electronically rather than coming in in person. You can find the forms here

What should I do if I wish to make changes to my program/module?

Any changes to programs or modules can be made during the Intent to Register process that takes place each spring. If you would like to discuss these changes with your academic advisor, please book an appointment with her here.

Where can I learn strategies to succeed in my classes?

Students can take advantage of the Learning Skills Services available on Western main campus. Learning Skills Services provides various services, whether in individual support, presentations regarding learning strategies, or peer-assisted programming.

We recommend students review the list of presentations being offered by Learning Skills Services.

How can I receive an Academic Accommodation?

Academic Accommodation is provided for evaluations that are worth 10% or more of your final grade. Students can fill out the accommodation form(s) online here. Students are required to include a valid piece of documentation to submit with their request. You can forward the documentation via email to For more information about what types of documentation are accepted please see the chart below.

Please note: the multiple exam policy is in effect for both midterm and final exams. Please visit the Western Exam Schedule for more information on what constitutes grounds for a multiple exam accommodation.

Types of Academic Accommodation and Documentation Chart

What if I cannot get documentation? 

For extenuating circumstances, Academic Advisors can grant accommodations based on compassionate grounds. For more information, arrange an appointment with an Academic Advisor here

What is the process for receiving academic accommodation?

Students should complete the Request for Academic Accomodation form and send this form, along with their Student Medical Certificate (if approporiate) to  An advisor will receive and process the request. The student will then get an email confirmation from and advisor. At this time, the student is responsible for arranging accommodation with their professor.

How do I receive an accommodation for a final exam? 

There are various reasons for final exam accommodation including Personal, Compassionate, multiple exams or time conflict. For more information, visit Western's Exam Schedule.

Students are required to send valid documentation to For final exams, students will need to fill out a Special Exam form. Students are responsible for acquiring any signatures needed to complete the form. 

What is the process for arranging for accommodations with Student Accessibility Services?

Students will need to forward their Academic Accommodation Form as well as the Accommodated Exams Request Form. Students are responsible for ensuring their instructor and academic advisor sign off on the letter before submitting it to the Student Accessibility Services Office. Please note: This process is for accommodations only. Students need to arrange the initial exam/test with the Student Accessibility Services Office. 

How do I request academic consideration?

There are three ways to request academic consideration: 
1. Self-Report Absence 
2. Medical Absence
3. Non-Medical Absence

What can be self-reported?

Any absence (up to 48 hours) for course work with 30% or less of your final course grade can be self-reported with the exception of the following:
1. Final exams 
2. Midterm exams scheduled during the December exam period 
3. Final lab exams scheduled during the last week of the term

How many times can I self-report?

Students are able to submit a maximum of two self-reported during the academic year (September - April) and a maximum of one self-reported absence during the summer term (May - August).

How do I self-report?

1. Log into Student Centre 
2. Click the Self-Report Absence link located on the right-hand side under Student Services links
3. Carefully read the instructions and complete the form, indicating each of the courses that you will miss during your absence
4. Email your instructor(s) following your self-reported absence to dicuss a new deadline/make-up date

Do I need to provide documentation for my self-reported absence?

No. Documentation is not required for a self-reported absence. Please see below for when documentation will be required. 

What happens if I have used my two self-reports?

For absences beyond your two self-reported absenses, you must submit an academic consideration request, along with supporting documentation to as soon as possible. 

How do I book an academic advising appointment?

Please contact The Hive to book appointments with Academic, Career or Financial Aid Advisors. The Hive staff are trained to answer the basic level of questions in all areas related to academics, registration, fees and programming. Call 519-858-5151, visit The Hive, or email us at

I need an Official Verification Letter - where do I get this?

All Offical Verification Letters can be requested here.

What is the schedule for the shuttle busses?

To find the shuttle bus schedule, please visit the King's website here.

How do I find out what textbooks I need?

To determine what textbooks are required for your class, you can visit the UWO Bookstore website for your personal textbook list here. Required and recommended textbooks are also listed in the course syllabus published by your professor.

Where do I go if I need a new student card?

For your first card or a replacement card, please visit here.